New Britain Connecticut History
The following is a brief history of the founding of New Britain, Connecticut and its activities today. Founded in 1850 as a township, it separated in 1871 from the nearby town of Farmington (Connecticut) and was divided into one town. The name was a transfer from Great Britain and after the transfer of the city to the United States the name changed to New England. Founded in the 1850s as a township of New London, a city in the state of New York, and separated from it in 1871.
New Britain has only been in general use for less than 150 years and is relatively new - in Connecticut. In the early 18th century, New England developed its surroundings and, as you can see by the size of its population, it has earned a reputation as the most populous city in New England and the second largest city in the United States.
The New Britain Club moved in 1916 and continued to grow in size and size, becoming the largest in Connecticut. The college left its current location in 1922 and the building was gutted and restored to house the NewBritain Board of Education. It was used as a retail office and in 1999 a new wing of New London High School was added. In the late 1990s, the buildings were restored and rebuilt as an office building for the Connecticut State College of Business, after which it was moved back to its original location.
The site was eventually chosen in New Britain, and Henry Barnard was named the first principal, with the help of the New London Board of Education and Connecticut State College of Business, as well as local businessmen.
The Walnut Hill Historic District is unique in New Britain and retains its historical significance. New London, which is considered a suburb of Hartford, is located in the eastern part of Connecticut, near the border with New York City and New Haven.
The buildings, which were mostly constructed in a framework, represent the 19th century style that characterized the urban residential character of the city from 1850 to 1900, when New Britain became a city of international industrial importance. The rapid growth of New London in the late 18th and early 20th centuries was due to the development of a number of new industries, including steel, iron and iron ore, and textile production.
Spanish - A city brochure to help new residents get used to life in New Britain, entitled "Bienvenidos de New London. Un Guia, "it provides information on various aspects of life in New Britain, including getting used to the cold winters, getting a car and an apartment and other issues of living in a new city.
At the time, Flagg's New York office was staffed by a group of lawyers, some of whom had lived in New Britain and practiced in both New London and Hartford, as well as Hartford.
The Puerto Rican community as a whole came to the Connecticut area in the mid-1950s to work in agriculture, moving to the cities of New Britain and Plainville to work in the well-paid industry of the late 1960s to 1970s. Early records also show that children were born to immigrants from the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico and Nicaragua. The famous migration of the first US lawyer John Bojnowski from New York City to New London in 1894 was also the beginning of a long immigration history to Connecticut and New England. His arrival in New Britain in 1895 marked the beginning of his tenure as the city's first attorney general.
New Britain has the largest Polish population of any city in Connecticut, and in the 1930s a quarter of the city was ethnically Polish. A population model shows New Britain as the second largest city in the United States after New York City, with an average population of 1.5 million.
The following map from 1831, before New Britain was incorporated as a separate city, shows a line along the Hartford - Providence railway line, which is divided by the Borough of NewBritain. The map of 1796 shows the borders of Berlin, Farmington, Southington, Hartford and New Haven as well as Quebeck. Berlin (including New London) is presented as its own, independent city without borders, but New England is used to identify the area. On the map of 1855 after the separation of Hartford and Hartford from New York City, Quebek was dropped and Farmington began to be separated from Southingston. After the division of the city and its affiliation to Berlin, it is identified as "Quebeck" on the map of 1795 and as "New Britain" in the following map of 1851.
The city's bus division serves primarily New Britain, New Haven, Hartford and New York City, but also other cities in New England and the State of Connecticut. The contract provides for the operation of a bus service between New London and Hartford, Connecticut (see "New Britain Bus Service" on the right side of this page).